Tuesday, January 29, 2008

a play by ras babi/ General Omar Ahmed Hassan Al-Bashir play(13)

the one scene play:

performers:
a conquest of the past- a leader
his men
Nubians(women, men, children)
Omar al-Bashir
his men
Nile
ras babi(myself)
a black cat

a leader:
...Sudan...
let us call it Sud...land, land of the Sud.....
a voice was heard, demanding and offering new reality; the crowded people shouted:

crowd:how much we will receive....?

leader:
depend on your work (he cleared his throat) aha..., if you want to enter the competition, ...bring in front of my eyes..., at least 50 ears of the Nubian, it is up to everyone of you..., small ears, women ears or men ears..., for me they are the same...., for each Nubian I pay 2 stones of gold..., work hard and you will see; how kind and generous is your leader....

(heavy and scary drumming..., screams and crying...)

voices of women: what we have done?
what we have done, you are slaughtering our men and children?
what we have done?

( heavy rain, a storm is blowing and the waves of the Nile clash and shout)

Nile: give them to me...., free them let them go..., I will take them....., women come to me...., throw yourselves in the water..., I will protect you from their cruelty and rap...., come come closer..., I will make it easier....

(...horses...., we hear them, and we hear the laughter of men, one of them say)

one of the crowd: (smiling) the Nubian..., the Sud..., how sweet their women can be..., it is a shame we kill them...

an other: the gold my friend is sweeter...

one of the crowd: slim, tall, lovely smell, the smell of these women is in my clothes and my skin..., I smell it all around the place..., these women they are not like our women....

an other: you have just said it..., they are not like the ones we have..., that makes our Job easier..., do not try to melt my heart..., I came here to be rich, and I suppose the same reason brought all of us.., look at them..., they are running towards the water as if..., the river will protect them from our sharp swords

one of the crowd: ... do you see what my eyes are seeing? ....those crazy women are throwing themselves into the river!!!

an other: oh shit!!! how may ears we have lost?

one of the crowd: (sadly) many.

(long crying)

a big TV in an empty room, all what we hear loud military marshes....., tana na na na na, tana na na na nana nan, it goes on and on, suddenly he appears with a smile on his face, he say:

general al-Bashir:
salam alaykum ya Jamaa...
have you seen Mr. al-Mahadi... (he laughs)...?
your man..., the responsible primer minister was in a party..., when my men got in...,(he looks at his men, they laugh...) the MR. ran..., he dressed up as a Sudanese women and tried to escape..., he thought my men will leave a woman just go like that..., whatever..., it is not important... what is important is that; we decided to intervene and save this country from their hands, God send us...

(ras babi enters the room)

ras babi:
blessings and greetings...
the man you have just seen and hear is a criminal..., is a mass killer..., he is responsible for the death of a lot of people in my home land..., he is the ruler of Sudan since 1989..., ...since then till now..., just think of it..., do you think your leaders do care? I do not think they do..., do you think the UN cares? No, they do not...., not even the USA..., do you know why?
it is the damned oil, our black blood, China has taken the place of the USA and the West, China sells us weapon and this man offers to her our blood instead,....
Darfur...., we all heard enough of it...
what is going on in Darfur?
it is in the Western part of the country.....
it is not in the Southern...
they are Muslims as the general and his men and myself...
why the general is removing the Darfurians from their ancient place..., and emptying the place from the living being? it is the hardest question...., I will give you , your chance to say what you think...,and why can not we the Sudanese get ride of such a devil being? these questions are to the audience..., to you......?
(ras babi sits, a black cat runs out...)

No comments: